It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Moving MC server hosting - some downtime
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi all,

As I'm sure you're aware, we've had some ongoing issues with packet loss and timeouts causing lots of headaches.

SMC is a busy man and has been struggling to find much time to do much more with the server, so he's indicated he has no objections to me taking over the physical hosting of it.

So, I have a new box on order to host it on, with significantly higher specs too, so we should be able to expect a bit of a performance increase (maybe even the ability to increase render distance, possibly!) as well as stable networking.

I'll provide updates as it goes along, but it's going to involve some downtime - SMC is going to be posting me my SSD with all the data, then I'll shove it in the new box and get it all set up, but that means we may be down for a few days.

Big thanks due to SMC to hosting it all this time, and I hope to be able to get things back to how they should be, then look at the 1.13 upgrade, and we can get back on track!

Cheers

bigpresh

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Moving MC server hosting - some downtime
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

UPDATE: as you'll have seen, the main server is now offline.

There's a temporary "holding place" server that the-wild.tk now resolves to, primarily for the benefit of those who connect and might not think to check the forum/IRC to see why the server is "down".

You're welcome to play on the temporary server if you want to, but it it *is* temporary, and the world it's running will be thrown away when the main server migration is completed, so don't put too much effort into nice builds etc, they will be lost!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

UPDATE: I have the new server, and should be receiving the SSD tomorrow, so should hopefully be able to find time over the weekend to get us back up and running, fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

UPDATE: I have the SSD (thanks SMC), have installed it, and the box boots etc - hurrah! I'm now trying to upgrade the outdated OS on it to something current. If that works, excellent; if not, I'll back up all the data, do a fresh install, then pull it back across and reconfigure everything - but I'd prefer the easy way if possible :)

So, we should be back in business over the weekend - possibly even by tonight, if it goes really smoothly :)

Post subject: Re: Moving MC server hosting - complete
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

UPDATE: Right, work done, upgraded the box, all seems good, removed the proxy to the temporary server, and so far, all seems well.

Please, come play, and if you find anything weird, let me know.

The FAQ and stats pages etc are not yet sorted, but I'll get them done as soon as I can - they'll need some cleverer proxying work, so will take a little longer.

Cheers

bigpresh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Webby stuff - the map was already up, if accessed directly at http://the-wild.tk/8123/ - now the old redirect URL of http://the-wild.tk/map should redirect correctly too.

The FAQ page should load: http://the-wild.tk/faq

A couple of the other redirects, e.g. http://the-wild.tk/vote have been set up. There were quite a few, some of which I'm sure are legacy stuff that can be binned.

Web-stats-wise - I think I might put that ball of PHP on the same VM that runs the forum, if I can easily get it talking to the stats DB on the live box, but if not, I'll get it running locally. (I've changed from Apache to nginx, I plan to host some other stuff on this box too.)